Chiptune forum

"bleep blop!"

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-20 17:16:29

Figroti
PM

I'm a noob looking to start making some chiptunes.

Alright, I'm completly new to the whole creating music thing, and I've been looking for something to make some music with. I know about fruity loops and stuff, but I wanna make chiptunes. I heard about littlesound DJ, but I'm not too sure about it. What all would I need for it to completly function, and record music? I don't wanna spend $40 and then realise that I don't have everything I need.

Thanks in advance,
~Fig

#2 2006-09-21 00:56:02

J. Arthur Keenes
PM  Website

Re: I'm a noob looking to start making some chiptunes.

Well actually, I make all of my chiptunes with Fruity Loops, though I'm not sure it's the sound you're going for http://myspace.com/thejarthurkeenesband

#3 2006-09-21 06:36:59

ale
PM  Website

if you're interested in lsdj, i guess you could try the demo version.
it's not the latest, but earlier versions are not bad at all. covox for instance uses an older version because it's more stable.

and if you are interested in trying other game boy software, go for carillon. it's free.

ale == karawapo < pepino == ai + ale

#4 2006-09-21 16:38:40

Figroti
PM

That's not bad Keenes, nice work.

Actually, what I'm aiming for is a sound kind of like http://www.myspace.com/computeher .

I'm gonna look into carillon, but I have no idea how to mod a gameboy, or anything like that for LSDJ. I don't really wanna use my PC. I was thinking of looking into some Commodore 64 stuff, but I can't find too much information on it.

#5 2006-09-22 04:37:56

ale
PM  Website

you don't need to mod your gb.
you just need a flashcart where you can put the software.
check the lsdj site for a link to a shop selling them, and of course feel free to look for other ones.

#6 2006-09-22 15:42:22

Figroti
PM

Ahhh, will the flash cart come with some type of USB cable that will allow me to transfer my tunes to my PC?

Also, I was wondering... Will a GBA/Nintendo DS be able to kick out teh same sounds as the original GB? Because I already have an NDS which can play GBA games. That way I won't have to use batteries, and I won't have to spend the extra cash on a GB.

I'm using an emulator right now, but I'd rather be able to do this portably.

Also, I'm assuming the one I need to buy is:

--Gameboy Transferer and 32M cartridge set*--

Gameboy Transferer unit
32M re-writable cartridge
25pin parallel cable
PC computer utility software

Along with the adapter at the bottom?

Last edited by Figroti (2006-09-22 15:53:14)

#7 2006-09-25 03:39:43

ale
PM  Website

a ds can't play 8bit game boy games, but an old grey game boy isn't worth much cash either. if you don't want to use batteries, gba sp is your man, quite a bit more expensive than the regular game boy but it's smaller, it has light, and it doesn't sound bad at all. if you get the headphones adapter, that's it. else you're stuck with the tiny speaker.

and yeah, that's the hardware you need. the ac adapter is optional but recommended. if you find it expensive, you may get a compatible one at your local electronics shop, or you can also use a game gear ac adapter.

Board footer