Chiptune forum

"bleep blop!"

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-14 17:26:07

starpause
acid filter cutoff jam
PM  Website

favorite artist / tune / etc header?

the board admin and i have been talking back and forth about adding a header much like "Releases" for discussing your favorite artist, tune, classic music disk, etc.

however, this topic is very similar to "Releases" so maybe they should be grouped together under "The music"

if not, perhaps "Releases" could be changed to "Promotion" for people pushing their own stuff, and "Favorites" would be for things other people liked enough to point out.

just throwing around ideas, please chip in smile

k9d/nD
m3d, lobit labia
cockroaches, fm broadcast

#2 2005-09-14 22:06:03

nim
PM

Re: favorite artist / tune / etc header?

Hello!"!! I was going to write just a short hint to presentational tunes of hirasawa in my introduction but it got long so I'll write an introduction of my favorite music artist here:
Susumu Hirasawa, veteran really cool japanese synth musician using studio of amigas (not tracking, rather old midi setup). He has made music for two satoshi kon productions: millennium actress and paranoia agent and maybe most well known opening for berserk (all anime).

anyway. his music is the most impressive style for me, I never sieze to envy his cool style like no other artist for me. he is the most chiptune-close musician I know before the genre chiptune was announced.. I think chiptune musicians searching for influences sort of out of the box will like him alot!

recommendation of tunes (try first mentioned first maybe):  Homo Gestalt, Forces, Rubedo or Run, Hansen 108, Bridge Builder, Nurse Cafe (it's so cool and charming it could become a fad if only it was wellknown ;), Rotation, P-model (sideproject band) - No Room (arpeggio :), Song of Force, pevo 11, OAR, Cluster, Chevron, Ancient Sounds, Mind Scape...)

recommended whole albums: Blue Limbo, Technique of Relief, Big Body, Philosophers Propeller (talk to me if you need music and can't find).

If anyone has similar taste I'd love to talk! :)

Last edited by nim (2005-09-15 03:28:28)

#3 2005-09-14 22:16:34

nim
PM

for samples check my private dump space.

I also love ryuichi sakamoto's music and Fade being one of my favorites (from wings of honneamise ost)

and check aprils - kirameki moon diver.. it's interesting how the exploitive use of chipsounds works very well.. I really like that song :¨) it never fails to cheer me up.

my other main influences are sampling masters consisting of shinji hosoe (main artist) and ayako saso and others. check albums if you'd like... btw I hope it's ok with mp3s etc.. most of albums are very hard to find so no offense to artists.

I want to hear your music recommendations related to your influences for chiptunes!

edit: ah, noticed this was in general discussion, meaning chiptune-wise.. maybe I should have posted in similar thread but in off-topic. sorry about that smile

Last edited by nim (2005-09-14 23:58:42)

#4 2005-09-15 03:21:33

nim
PM

my favorite contemporary chiptune musicians are today (worth checking out for those who have missed) zabu maak shogun and saitone.

one outstanding tune which is kind of half chip is wrrd.it "weather report & rainy day" and maak_-_m-tune_04.nsf both by maak.
oh I know more
lumbar pain by shogun (mdx on his website) and long time ago his bullworker and "eye of the bare knuckle" excerpts were announced on vorc.
KSSORG01 by naruto
eheh, I'm only listing the could-be/already-professionals.. well well.
check out saitones gameboy music ep and the tunes clavialoop and lc3-2, don't know if he calls any of that chiptunes but it's based on nanoloop anyway and I think he's quite ingenious and the two latter mentioned is like which style I often try to conceive of when it ends in something simple and melodic instead.
for commercial:
recently been mad about the dragon saber soundtrack, the .hes is fine version. (check the arrange on my dump)
check out MAD's cover of Vulcanic Gheyser (stage 2 dragon saber) SABER_SCC.mp3
dragon saber music isn't really typically chiptune maybe but lends it self well to the old platforms it was played on.. shinji hosoe is amazing when you discover something he doesn't seem to have gained enough recognition for... in my partial opinion smile
I'd like to buy alot of more supersweep/troubadour and related albums and I'd like to buy everything on http://www.linear.nu/release.html smile
about the recent kind of chipcentered hifi jpop or whatever it's called.
I really like kirameki moon diver (on my dump space) which I've mentioned.
and strawberry machine's and ymck's Twinkle of the Stars, Little Stars, Shining Stars
is there a genre name for this music already stated? low level seems to be some key work by the aprils.. don't know all those petite fool naive pop electro terms.. when chippy probably not very defined...?

#5 2005-09-18 01:47:47

Ignat
PM

This is short, my favourite chip music ever:
Raeuberhoehle, Covox, Tobiah (damn, he is great)
Receptors, Micropupazzo and some aRag Stain,
firestArter, uhm.. (I'm forgetting some...)

also Rob Hubbard, Huus, Huulsbeck (uhm... I need to search my sidplay)

Also Freezepop if someone let me call it chippy smile

They use an fm chip and micro gear after all... wink

And suicide express, Ratt Crowther started the fire in me with that song..

Should we diference Chip tunes from Chip Style? (music made with pc or something else in a chip way? )

#6 2005-09-18 03:36:16

starpause
acid filter cutoff jam
PM  Website

i started this thread to discuss if we needed a new section for sharing favorites ...

and seriously, each of nim's posts deserves it's own thread ... hell, each artist deserves their own thread ... i think a 2nd category for "favorites" wouldn't be so bad .... so many hot hot names!

there is some music in anime that i really love (woh and bezerk for sure, i'll add KITE to that list), but i never have access to ost (i'll admit, i don't hunt hard--my ears are quite busy trying to keep net label relaeaess straight!)

direct links to tracks/releases mentioned when availible ... would be very nice smile ... thanks for dumping to us nim!

is anyone else on soulseek? i use 2 names ... home and work  ... "+ k 9 d +"  and ",kay,nien,dee,"

ignat ... i think that distinction does exist, but howe pure do you want to get? is it a chip tune if you run LSDj in a gb emulator and record a .wav straight out of that? how many could hear the difference between that and an "authentic gameboy track"??? lol

hmm, like any genre .. . there is a lot of vgm that just does nothing for me ... it'll take me some time to work my way through nim's posts here ...

k9d/nD
m3d, lobit labia
cockroaches, fm broadcast

#7 2005-09-18 14:35:17

Ignat
PM

Hey Starpause, I don't want to go against your way of seeing it,
But I think the way it is is really clear and easy to understand smile
Really,
About, the question about chip tunes, chip style (or many other names)
Well, there would be some distinction between that. 
But I never feel pure in any sense wink
And I posted that because I want to know different points of view, I hope not to be offtopic, well, I think ( just my point o v ) is not needed to have an 8- bit or old times personal computer to get chip sounds.
a sidstation or monomachine would spit some chiptunes, then is more difficult to diference (or not?)
What about cellphones with MSX chips? Or what's the difference between an Opl2 chip, a sega genesis running some (X) software and a yamaha FM chip squenced by any seq engine (hardseq, soft, tracker) well, I would like to hear different bells... smile

I guess we like old machines, and I found the sega more appealing wink

please excuse me if I write too much or off topic.

WHat about overprocessed CHIP recordings? well, sometimes we get bored with no fx right? wink

have a nice chipping :X :X :X !!!

Is chipmusic about our love to crap??? yikes

Last edited by Ignat (2005-09-18 14:36:24)

#8 2005-09-18 14:38:11

Ignat
PM

many times names or music genders are serving to different purposes
may that mean something?

#9 2005-09-18 20:39:43

dereigner
PM

maybe thats to subjective but I ask myself  years why are US releases so damn good,why I prefere american Artists (all kinda styles)what the f...     yikes

uh la la,i got my keys back.

#10 2005-09-22 03:56:34

nim
PM

hehe smile
I'm happy mp3s are endorsed! great to link directly. I'll use my dump space more actively.. only thing is I'm unsure of how to act around purchased chiptune albums.. guess I will only refer to those songs and albums since if we convince eachother enough, one would buy the album since it's chip and that'd be good smile

anyway, can't get Hex125's Note Launch test tune #1 out of my mind or playlist tongue my favorite thing to listen to atm. (nl01.mdx) http://sound.jp/hex125/ I think it's relatively new
and I meant to correct myself earlier about the Bare Knuckle D! (dokkan!) for I forgot to mention it features both Shogun and Hex125's tunes which I like alot!
http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/shogun … bk/mbk.htm <-about the bullworker and eye of the.. excerpts.
http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/shogun_point/index.htm <- here is lumbar pain.. his website might be hard to find I remember now.
Are these albums possible to obtain outside of japan? I saw them in stores when I went to my first trip to japan in march this year. I met with hex125 and shogun (and chesterfield, digigig and hally! (big suprise so many came big_smile, I had so much fun!)) and they gave me a pile of bare knuckle albums which I sent to people who had shown interest except me and Shogun explained he wanted to spread the album in the west. If there is no way to reach the album I'd like to exclaim a solution must be found, the albums should not be missed! big_smile
Maybe should ask the authors or bug cocoebiz (rr I couldn't, she is a savior as it is already) or white-canvas to start releasing doujin cd's for export.
maybe it'd be a working solution to set up a model where you gather 20-50 people who want a japanonly album and then make a special order to japanese doujin vendor.. kaminari talked about this need some while ago, could ask him if he knows any solution.. some doujin cd vendor might have started to export.

anyway, atleast imo. I like deviating fully on every noteworthy subject relating to the discussion even if not the topic smile

about what is chiptune. I feel this is a discussion is since a while on everyones tounge but maybe it is hard to find the meaning of the question even.. hey check the new thread in general discussion! it's a horribly long post but hopefully I said something interesting and even if the length of it doesn't support such a claim, I'd like to start a discussion about the matters discussed in my post.

hey I just looked in my CHIP\Guten\-folder and found a trio of classics which were my second favorite group of tunes after PM's two hits... grab the BATTLESHIP.ZIP on my dumpspace. plays best with ("smurf's.."?) oldsk00l mod plugin for winamp/xmplay if I remember correctly cause I think some lead melodies are too silent in xmplay (bass' mod playback) (which otherwise is probably the best windows player to my knowledge).
this is the kind of "classic chiptune"-style I like.. I think it has somewhat degenerated last half or full decade.

#11 2005-11-13 14:13:29

random
PM

Saying one, absolute favorite chipartists (chipstyle or classical chiptunes... Or just made with chip tools ^_^) is ofcourse impossible... Atleast for me. But some of the musicians I value as the best is:
Zabutom, Hally, Nim, Goto80, Reed, YMCK, Virt, Stu... And many others, such as Bit Shifter, Nullsleep, RushJet1, Naruto, K.Hei, Crazy Q, Role Model, David Sugar, Covox, Huoratron... And then many others on top of those! Heh ^_^

Among VGM-composers, I'd say my top three favorites is Yasuhisa Watanabe (Yack), Nobuo Uematsu and Michiru Yamane... I could make the list long, but those three are the one's music I've listened to the most anyway, and I never seem to get bored of it... Very mainstream game-composers, but there must be a reason for that, right? big_smile

I should also mention Ayako Saso, which I recently discovered. I havn't heard much of her, but what I've heard really rocks!

Sorry for the uninteresting listing, and lack of argumentation/motivation ;(

Last edited by random (2005-11-18 12:14:03)

#12 2005-11-13 21:26:16

nim
PM

checked out Huoratron! DISLOCATED RMX is mad! big_smile really cool. Does Crazy Q have his music on a website?

#13 2005-11-18 12:12:11

random
PM

Yeah! I know! Huoratron is awesome... Good news is that he will probably (Not 100% sure, I think) release a full-lenght album on SOCOM, Covox's label, in the beginning of next year.

Before Huoratron updated his site, there were previews of a bunch of other songs there, that I think was Nanoloop only, and that was seriously... MAD! But you couldn't download them, only listen in the browser (Flash), and I didn't bother to rip them... But anyway, I hope we all here more from him soon.

You can find Crazy Q-tunes here: http://technopolitan.se/~crazyq/
And also don't miss Crazy Q playing live tomorrow (saturday, 19/11) at Microdisko in Stockholm! Together with gwEm, Dubmood and Marcer ^_^

#14 2005-11-19 22:27:07

nim
PM

thanks for link smile hope the play was nice! (sucks being broke)

#15 2005-11-20 12:31:35

random
PM

Yeah... Crazy Q was king of the night imo ^_^ But Marcer, Dubmood and gwEm (and Charlie!) really rocked the house aswell... Dubmood with 5 rappers on stage...! AWESOME!

Board footer